The Game to Grow Method of Educationally Applied Role-Playing Games: A level one training for educators, is a six-hour training. This training will cover the benefits of role-playing games when played with intent, as well as strategies for effectively communicating the basics of the game and benefits with students, parents, and administrators. We’ll discuss the Core Capacities highlighted in Critical Core that can be supported through intentional play. We’ll also explore ways in which these games and auxiliary activities (character creation, worldbuilding, encounter design), align with Common Core standards and can enhance your classroom culture.
Following participation in this training, attendees should be able to:
- Describe the basic structure and elements of a tabletop role-playing game (TTRPG).
- Describe (some of) the inherent benefits of TTRPG play and their relevance for academic and educational outcomes.
- Discuss the potential benefits and risks of engaging in tabletop role-playing games with stakeholders such as students, parents, and program administrators.
- List the five Core Capacities addressed through the intentional application of role-playing games.
- Describe the three dimensions of capacity-building.
- Use the three dimensions of capacity-building to explain how the Core Capacities can be used in the intentional application of TTRPGs to support social emotional learning goals.
- Appropriately tie game elements and auxiliary activities to Common Core standards.
- Describe ways in which TTRPGs are especially useful as participation structures for neurodivergent youth.
Location: Live online via Demio
Trainers: Adam Davis, MA Ed, and Elizabeth Kilmer, PhD
Continuing Education: Game to Grow is an approved Clock Hour Provider through the Washington OSPI. This training will provide 6 clock hours of instruction. This offering relates to building a collaborative learning community and education frameworks and curriculum alignment. To receive a certificate of attendance, you must attend the training in its entirety and successfully complete a knowledge check. If you would like to receive partial credit for partial attendance, or have any accessibility requests, please contact email@example.com.
Notes: There is no commercial support for this training. The trainers have no conflicts of interest to report.
Register for the On-Demand Training Here!
Want to be the first to hear about new live dates? Our educator waitlist hears it first when new dates are announced!