The Game to Grow Method of Therapeutically Applied Role-Playing Games: A level two training for mental health professionals, is a six-hour training that builds on the theory and strategies introduced in the level one training to improve your skills as a therapeutic game master. It will be interactive and include small group work to further practice techniques and deepen your understanding of the material. Through your participation in this training you will have a strong grounding in the The Game to Grow Method of Therapeutically Applied Role-Playing Games (TA-RPG), and will be able to implement these groups in populations with which you have familiarity and experience.
Following participation in this training, attendees should be able to:
- Design in-game encounters consistent with treatment goals.
- Utilize the ADDRESSING framework to recognize and respond to diversity within your game and group.
- Identify the skills needed to be an effective therapeutic game master.
- Implement session zero content and safety tools appropriately with regard to your population of players.
- Describe techniques for using affect to increase immersion and communicate with players.
- Identify and address common roadblocks such as disengagement, distrust, and intra-group conflict.
- Saturday, October 16, 2021
Time: 9am – 4pm Pacific, 1 hour lunch break (six hours total)
Location: Live online via Zoom or Google Meet
CE Credits: 6 CE credits awarded for APA
Trainers: Elizabeth Kilmer, PhD and Adam Davis, MA Ed
Prerequisites: To participate in this training, you must first complete the MH Level One training, as well as participate in at least 6 hours of a TTRPG as a player or game master.
Notes: To receive a certificate of attendance, you must attend the training in its entirety and successfully complete a knowledge check. There is no commercial support for this training. The trainers have no conflicts of interest to report.
Game to Grow is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Game to Grow maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
If the session is full or doesn’t work for your schedule and you’d like to be notified when we offer it again, please input your information into the waitlist below.